Rajbari was made a district in 1984. Records of the time of permanent settlement (1793) show that the whole area was in the jessore district. The area was brought under the district of faridpur when the latter was established in 1811. Its thanas/upazilas belonged to different districts in the past. pangsha area was a part of the pabna district. In 1859, Pangsha and baliakandi became part of the newly formed Kumarkhali subdivision. When Goalanda subdivision was created in 1871, Pangsha and Rajbari were annexed to it and its headquarters were established at Rajbari. Goalandaghat was upgraded to a district in March 1984 and was renamed as Rajbari district. The district consists of 4 upazilas, 42 union parishads, 3 municipalities, 796 mouzas, 986 villages, 27 wards and 96 mahllas.