Khagrachhari subdivision was turned into a district in 1983. The district of Chittagong Hill Tracts was established in 1860 under the 'Frontier Tribes Act 22 of 1860'. Following the district of Chittagong Hill Tract Regulation Act the Chittagong Hill Tract was divided into three subdivisions (included Khagracharri) in 1900. The Khagrachhari Local Government Legislative Council was formed in 1989 (in accordance with the Khagrachhari Hill Districts Council, Act 20), which, on the basis of the historic 'Chittagong Hill Tracts Peace Accord', was turned into Khagrachhari Hill District Council on 2 December, 1997. The district consists of 8 upazilas, 34 union parishads, 123 mouzas, 953 villages, one municipality, 9 wards and 61 mahallas. The Upazilas are dighinala, khagrachhari sadar, lakshmichhari, mahalchhari, manikchhari, matiranga, panchhari and ramgarh.
Dighinala Upazila, Khagrachhari Sadar Upazila, Lakshmichhari Upazila, Mahalchhari Upazila, Manikchhari Upazila, Matiranga Upazila, Panchhari Upazila, Ramgarh Upazila